How not to be mistaken when buying linoleum? What are the criteria for evaluating it for strength? What else do you need to know when purchasing such a floor covering? We decided to solve this Due to modern technology, linoleum has become a real "chameleon". Today it is produced with drawings and textures in the form of a parquet board, natural stone, tile, carpet. Therefore, there is no problem of choice for a particular style of interior. Yes, while the cost of it is democratic. Today, we'll show you how to choose this type of coverage correctly.
Before the purchase
Before you go to buy linoleum, you should think about:
- Whether it fits into the design of your room;
- For what room is intended: for the kitchen, bedroom, children's room, bathroom or hallway;
- How many family members do you have to choose the material by the degree of wear resistance?
- Whether the coating meets such requirements as moisture resistance, sound insulation, thermal insulation, antistatic and safety.
Alexey Ilyin, interior designer: - Linoleum is very practical, because it allows you to often produce wet cleaning without harm to cover, which for many is an invaluable advantage. It's just perfect for allergies and problems with the respiratory system. Yes, and a plate, diving on linoleum, has a chance to survive.
How to choose linoleum: basic types
Since in the modern market there are differentTypes of linoleum, you must immediately find out what is right for you. Manufacturers offer a rich selection of synthetic coatings (rubber, glyptal, colloxylin, polyvinylchloride) and natural materials. Basically, polyvinyl chloride linoleum and natural coating are used.
Polyvinyl chloride linoleum (PVC)
It can be manufactured on a non-woven heat-insulating and fabric basis. Also it is divided into single-layered and multi-layered. Pros:
- Such coverage has a wide range of patterns, shades and ornaments (it's easy to choose for any style of interior);
- Environmentally friendly material;
- PVC has excellent dielectric properties;
- Does not succumb to putrefaction.
- Sensitive to changes in temperature: if the temperature drops sharply, it becomes less elastic, which can be cracked;
- Capriciously tolerates chemical solvents, alkalis and fats.
Alexey Ilyin, interior designer: - The basis for it can be a woven or non-woven sound-proof base, or foamed. It can also be baseless and consist of one or more layers. The advantage of this type of linoleum is the widest range of colors and patterns. Disadvantage can be considered a rather strong specific smell, disappearing only with time.
It is made of linseed oil, woodyFlour, pine resin, limestone powder based on jute fabric. Only natural dyes are used. On such material it is necessary to pay attention to people suffering from allergic diseases. Also it is used for children's rooms. Usually there is a monophonic color or a marble shade. Pros:
- Resistant to abrasion;
- Has bactericidal properties;
- At the end of time does not change its structure and color (does not burn out in the sun);
- Resistant to burning.
- Does not like high humidity;
- Linoleum undesirably kink, otherwise there may be cracks (need to be carefully transported, do not throw);
- high price.
Alexey Ilyin, interior designer: - In my opinion, the best is natural linoleum. It consists of natural components, as the name implies. It seems to me that the less in the life of "chemistry", the better. Natural jute base, wood tar, cork oak bark, linseed oil, mineral additives - nothing is active chemical compounds. In this case, such a coating does not accumulate an electric charge. There is one thing: a relatively low choice of color solution. There are few variants of drawing, but it does not burn out.
What affects the wear resistance
The main criteria affecting wear resistanceLinoleum, are its density and thickness. It is believed that the thicker the protective layer of the material, the better. It is he who is responsible for the absence of traces from the legs of furniture and heels. The synthetic coating has this qualification:
- Commercial coverage: designed for high traffic areas, its service life is about 20 years;
- Household cover: the most subtle, inexpensive, but the service life - about 3-5 years;
- Semi-commercial coating: service life - from 7 to 20 years, the average version between household and commercial linoleum, the best option for home.
Figures on the marking
To make it easier for customers to understand, manufacturers write certain numbers. What do they mean? The first digit can vary from 1 to 4:
- 1 - linoleum is designed for rooms with minimum traffic;
- 2 - the coating is suitable for living quarters;
- 3 - coating for office premises;
- 4 - for industrial premises.
The second figure tells about the loads thatCan withstand the coating. It also varies from 1 to 4, where 1 is considered the lowest and 4 is the highest. If you have a large family (for example, five people), then buying a cover for the hallway or kitchen, pay attention to such figures as 23, 24. And for a bedroom or cabinet is quite suitable linoleum with the qualification of 21.
What to pay special attention to and what to ask the seller
First of all, pay attention to the smellCoating, or rather, in its absence. Qualitative linoleum should not have a specific smell. At the seller necessarily demand the certificate of conformity. Safety first.
- Do not make a mistake in the calculations. Buy a cover with a margin, considering the thresholds, joints, fit the picture.
- From one roll. It is worth remembering that it is better to buy linoleum from one roll. Otherwise, it may differ in color, despite the same marking and lot.
- Before you buy. You have already decided on the choice, you all like it, but before you buy, check the coverage for quality in the rolled out form. So you define the areas on which there may be hillocks, waves or those where the top film exfoliates.
- Pack - we take! So, you paid for the purchase and want to pick up the cover. Note that the linoleum is rolled into the roll face-down inside. Also categorically it is impossible to add it in half. And even on the front side you can not glue the tape, because then it will be difficult to remove the sticky trace.