How not to be mistaken when buying linoleum? What are the criteria for evaluating it for strength? What else do you need to know when purchasing such a floor covering? We decided to solve this Due to modern technology, linoleum has become a real "chameleon". Today it is produced with drawings and textures in the form of a parquet board, natural stone, tile, carpet. Therefore, there is no problem of choice for a particular style of interior. Yes, while the cost of it is democratic. Today, we'll show you how to choose this type of coverage correctly.
Before the purchase
Before you go to buy linoleum, you should think about:
- Whether it fits into the design of your room;
- For what room is intended: for the kitchen, bedroom, children's room, bathroom or hallway;
- How many family members do you have to choose the material by the degree of wear resistance?
- Whether the coating meets such requirements as moisture resistance, sound insulation, thermal insulation, antistatic and safety.
Alexey Ilyin, interior designer: - Linoleum is very practical, because it allows you to often produce wet cleaning without harm to cover, which for many is an invaluable advantage. It's just perfect for allergies and problems with the respiratory system. Yes, and a plate, diving on linoleum, has a chance to survive.
How to choose linoleum: basic types
Since in the modern market there are differenttypes of linoleum, you need to immediately find out what is right for you. Manufacturers offer a wide selection of synthetic (rubber, glyphthal, colloxylin, polyvinyl chloride) and natural materials. Polyvinyl chloride linoleum and natural coating are mainly used.
Polyvinyl chloride linoleum (PVC)
It can be made on a non-woven heat-insulating and fabric base. It is also divided into single-layer and multi-layer. Pros:
- Such coverage has a wide range of patterns, shades and ornaments (it's easy to choose for any style of interior);
- Environmentally friendly material;
- PVC has excellent dielectric properties;
- Does not succumb to putrefaction.
- Sensitive to changes in temperature: if the temperature drops sharply, it becomes less elastic, which can be cracked;
- Capriciously tolerates chemical solvents, alkalis and fats.
Alexey Ilyin, interior designer:- The basis for it can be a woven or non-woven soundproofing base, or foamed. It can also be baseless and consist of one or more layers. The advantage of this type of linoleum is the widest range of colors and patterns. The disadvantage can be considered a rather strong specific smell, which disappears only with time.
Made from linseed oil, woodflour, pine resin, limestone powder based on jute fabric. Only natural dyes are used. Such material should be paid attention to people suffering from allergic diseases. It is also used for children's rooms. Usually it comes in a solid color or marble shade. Pros:
- Resistant to abrasion;
- Has bactericidal properties;
- At the end of time does not change its structure and color (does not burn out in the sun);
- Resistant to burning.
- Does not like high humidity;
- Linoleum undesirably kink, otherwise there may be cracks (need to be carefully transported, do not throw);
- high price.
Alexey Ilyin, interior designer:- In my opinion, natural linoleum is the best. It consists of natural, as the name implies, components. It seems to me that the less "chemistry" in everyday life, the better. Natural jute base, wood resins, cork bark, linseed oil, mineral additives - there are no active chemical compounds in anything. Moreover, such a coating does not accumulate an electric charge. There is one but: a relatively low choice of color solutions. There are few design options, but it does not fade.
What affects the wear resistance
The main criteria affecting wear resistanceLinoleum, are its density and thickness. It is believed that the thicker the protective layer of the material, the better. It is he who is responsible for the absence of traces from the legs of furniture and heels. The synthetic coating has this qualification:
- Commercial coverage: designed for high traffic areas, its service life is about 20 years;
- Household cover: the most subtle, inexpensive, but the service life - about 3-5 years;
- Semi-commercial coating: service life - from 7 to 20 years, the average version between household and commercial linoleum, the best option for home.
Figures on the marking
To make it easier for buyers to understand, manufacturers write certain numbers. What do they mean? The first digit can range from 1 to 4:
- 1 - linoleum is designed for rooms with minimum traffic;
- 2 - the coating is suitable for living quarters;
- 3 - coating for office premises;
- 4 - for industrial premises.
The second figure tells about the loads thatcan withstand the coating. It also ranges from 1 to 4, with 1 being the lowest and 4 the highest. If you have a large family (say, five people), then when buying a covering for a hallway or kitchen, pay attention to numbers such as 23, 24. And for a bedroom or office, linoleum with qualification 21 is quite suitable.
What to pay special attention to and what to ask the seller
First of all, pay attention to the smellCoating, or rather, in its absence. Qualitative linoleum should not have a specific smell. At the seller necessarily demand the certificate of conformity. Safety first.
- Do not make a mistake in the calculations. Buy a cover with a margin, considering the thresholds, joints, fit the picture.
- From one roll. It is worth remembering that it is better to buy linoleum from one roll. Otherwise, it may differ in color, despite the same marking and lot.
- Before you buy. You have already decided on the choice, you all like it, but before you buy, check the coverage for quality in the rolled out form. So you define the areas on which there may be hillocks, waves or those where the top film exfoliates.
- Pack - we take! So, you paid for the purchase and want to pick up the cover. Note that the linoleum is rolled into the roll face-down inside. Also categorically it is impossible to add it in half. And even on the front side you can not glue the tape, because then it will be difficult to remove the sticky trace.